Frequently asked questions

The EHIC card remains valid within the EU and our insurance offers cover in both private facilities as well as EHIC state Facilities.

Expand Travel Insurance is available to persons who been resident in the United Kingdom for at least 6 months prior to taking out this insurance and who are registered with a UK General practitioner.

Please note: This insurance does not cover any person aged 80 or over at the Date of Issue.

The cost of your policy will depend on the type of policy and cover you require, the duration of your trip(s), the number and the age of people travelling.

You can pay online using a Visa, MasterCard or Maestro card.

Your policy is delivered via your email address.

We can also post you a copy of your policy documents.

European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) countries including: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Channel Islands, Croatia, Cyprus (but not Northern Cyprus), Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK.

Please note: Cover within the UK applies to pre-booked trips only and must require payment for at least one overnight stay in a commercial accommodation facility such as hotel, bed & breakfast, hostel etc.

Plus the following specifically named Non European Union Countries: Andorra, Belarus, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Isle of Man, Macedonia, Monaco, Montenegro, Northern Cyprus, San Marino, Serbia, Turkey and Ukraine.

Additional Countries*: Albania, Egypt, Moldova, Morocco, Russia, and Tunisia.
*Only operative if indicated in the Schedule of Insurance and appropriate premium paid.

Please contact Expand Travel Insurance on 0845 058 3000 or email if you wish to add any additional countries to your existing policy.

All insured persons travelling to European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) countries must have a valid EHIC card, unless travelling to a specific Non European Union Countries, as defined in the 'Geographical limits' section of your Policy Wording and appropriate premium paid.

You must at all times seek treatment at an appropriate medical facility which participates in the EHIC scheme and/or other reciprocal health agreements with countries specifically named. If you are in any doubt you should contact MAPFRE Assistance for advice before starting treatment.

EHIC applications forms are available from your local Post Office or online at

You may also apply for an EHIC by calling 0845 606 2030 or 0845 605 0707.

This insurance contract is between you and MAPFRE Asistencia trading in the United Kingdom under the name of MAPFRE Assistance, with registered office at 5th Floor, Alpha House, 24a Lime Street, London, EC3M 7HS; and corporate tax number 680/1807623857. MAPFRE Asistencia is authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) to operate in the United Kingdom according to the right of freedom of establishment of the European Union and the European Economic Area (EAA) legislation.

Please read the following documents for the full details of your cover:

Policy Wording

And for annual multi-trip policies: Annual Policy Summary

Or for single-trip policies Single Trip Policy Summary

The Annual Multi-trip policy allows you to take any number of round trips during the year, each up to a maximum of 31, 45 or 60 days long. We may be able to extend your trip length limit to up to 90 days for an Additional Premium.

The Single Trip policy covers individual trips from 1 day up to a maximum of 122 days long.

Please note: If you add any additional countries (Albania, Egypt, Moldova, Morocco, Russia, and Tunisia) to your policy your trip length to these countries can only be for a duration of up to 24 days (both single and annual polices).

No. Cover is only available for round trips starting from and returning to the UK.

Yes, if for any reason you are not satisfied with the terms and conditions of your cover; you may return the Policy and Schedule to us within 14 days of the date of issue for cancellation. Any premium paid will then be refunded, provided you have not started your holiday and you have made no claim.

No refund of premium is available after the 14-day period.

If you plan to go away more than once in the next year, you can save time and money with the Annual Multi-trip policy. With an Annual Multi-trip policy you may take any number of round trips during the policy period of cover up to a maximum duration of 31/45/60 days for any one trip.

The cover includes loss of deposit and cancellation charges, so it is essential you already have the cover in place when you book and pay your deposit.

Yes, however like most travel insurance policies, pre-existing medical conditions are excluded from cover. There are certain conditions that we are able to include automatically as long as you, a close relative or business colleague upon whom the trip depends have no more than ONE of the Acceptable Medical Conditions.

All of the above are available as additional options.

No, some activities are not covered. Please check the Policy Wording and Policy Summary for details:

Policy Wording

And for annual multi-trip policies: Annual Policy Summary

Or for single-trip policies Single Trip Policy Summary

We include many activities as standard, but if you are going to take part in any hazardous activity, please check the list of our

Acceptable Activities.

If you are intending to take part in any activity not shown in the list that may be considered hazardous or require confirmation of whether your activity is insured, please contact us on 0845 058 3000. We may be able to cover your activity as standard or in some cases for an Additional Premium.

Yes, the Expand Travel Insurance policy entitles the insured person(s) to the use of a 24-hour emergency medical assistance service. This service is provided by MAPFRE Assistance who employ a team of trained multi lingual assistance co-ordinators.

Full details of the service they provide and how to contact them can be found in the policy documents:

Policy Wording

And for annual multi-trip policies: Annual Policy Summary

Or for single-trip policies Single Trip Policy Summary

Full details of what you need to do to make a claim are shown in your Policy Wording on page 19.

Please note: You will be expected to follow the claims procedure shown in your Policy Wording, section 'How to Make a Claim' and to substantiate your claim by providing supporting documentation.

Policy Wording

And for annual multi-trip policies: Annual Policy Summary

Or for single-trip policies Single Trip Policy Summary

No, travel insurance and private medical insurance are different things. Travel cover will look after emergency expenses if you are injured or ill abroad, but not the wide range of treatment expected with medical insurance.

Each person is separately insured, so all insured adults may travel independently. Children must always be travelling with an insured adult.

Please check our latest Emergency Travel Information for the Underwriter's advice which may affect your trip and cover.

You can also check the UK Government Foreign and Commonwealth Office travel advice.